Dismounted Soldier Tracking
Precision location and position tracking in GPS-denied environments
PNI is developing a proprietary new class of pedestrian position tracking, called Direction of Motion (DOM). Unlike current inertial dead reckoning approaches, PNI’s DOM technology decomposes motion sensing data into constituent directional components and analyzes the motion data stream to determine the walking or running step direction. Regardless of device pose and step direction, the DOM algorithm can determine the true, accurate direction traveled while automatically handling shifting device position that introduces arbitrary variability between the tracking device and user-body reference frames.
PNI’s new Dismounted Soldier Tracking (DST) module accurately monitors a soldier’s location even when GPS is compromised or denied. DST is an inertial tracking module that provides precise step-by-step tracking for soldiers, both indoors and outdoors. DST provides precise position in any location.
PNI has spent seven years of internal research and development perfecting the highest-accuracy, lowest-power sensor fusion algorithms for wearables and smartphones. DST is the result of this combined expertise. DST location technology stays accurate over time and through a wide range of conditions, so its data can be trusted to deliver precise results in mission-critical scenarios.
Key Features & Benefits
- DST provides tracking to 1% accuracy over distance traveled over 1/2 hour with no GPS.
- Unmatched direction of motion – DST direction of motion tracking algorithm is a dead reckoning algorithm that tracks a soldier independent of the soldier’s body pose or dynamic movement in any direction (forward, backward, sideways).
- Self-contained – No additional infrastructure required and optimized for low size, weight, power, and cost (SWaP-C).
- Integrates with GPS for path alignment and step scaling and tracks a soldier’s position even when GPS is not available.
- DST technology is customizable to mission specifications, made in the U.S.A. and ITAR-free.
|Communication||Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) to iOS or Android device
Supports Android Team Awareness Kit (ATAK)
|Accuracy||1% accuracy over distance traveled over 1/2 hour with no GPS|
|Integrated Sensors||Magnetometer, accelerometer, gyroscope, temperature|
|Battery||Rechargeable; 4 hours continuous operation|
|Width: 33 mm
Depth: 14 mm
Length: 50 mm
|Installation Position||Body worn|
|Evaluation Kit |
|Dismounted Soldier Tracking module
Wireless charging unit
DOM DST smartphone application