PlacePod™ is an IoT-enabled smart parking sensor for on-street and off-street municipal and private parking management.
Parking has long been a poorly managed resource, resulting in environmental and economic problems and consumer dissatisfaction. Technological advancements and societal needs are now aligned for the widespread adoption of the next generation of smart parking solutions. The biggest challenge is accurate and timely vehicle detection.
PNI’s solution is PlacePod, an in-ground or surface-mounted smart parking sensor that communicates with a LoRa gateway or Sigfox base station to provide real-time parking data. It provides accurate vehicle detection in parking spaces, up to 10 years of battery life, and is stable over temperature fluctuations, even in harsh environments.
Features & Benefits
- Includes the industry’s most accurate magnetic sensing system for vehicle detection with the combination of PNI’s high-performance magnetic sensor and vehicle detection algorithms that accurately detect the presence or absence of a car in a parking space.
- Includes a built-in LoRa or Sigfox radio that communicates to a gateway or base station with complete Low Power Wide Area Network (LPWAN) compatibility.
- Sensors and algorithms are finely tuned for ultra-low power consumption, providing continuous vehicle detection without missing a parking event.
- Simplified provisioning and management using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) for wireless software updates via PNI’s mobile application.
- Complete solution includes PNI’s Parking Cloud Service – a comprehensive dashboard for managing and monitoring all parking resources and data, including installation and verification, diagnostics, monitoring, and reporting.
Built-In Accuracy and Reliability
The PlacePod smart parking sensor includes PNI’s RM3100 geomagnetic sensor, which is the highest-performance magnetic sensor in its class. The RM3100 incorporates proprietary magneto-inductive technology that has more than 30 times the sensitivity of other magnetic sensors and is stable over temperature fluctuations. Unlike other magnetic sensor-based parking sensors, PlacePod accurately detects parking events in dense urban environments and filters out electromagnetic interference or “noise” such as direct current from overhead power lines, interference from underground trains, or transient magnetic signatures from passing traffic which can trigger false parking events. The sensors and algorithms are optimized for always-on, highly-accurate vehicle detection while maintaining ultra-low-power operation. Other parking sensors manage power consumption by putting the parking sensor into “sleep mode” during which they are unable to detect the presence or absence of a vehicle.