Research has shown that ongoing cruising for available parking spaces increases traffic congestion and carbon emissions, frustrates drivers, stifles economic opportunities for businesses, and adversely affects other municipal services. Now that technological advancements are available to support IoT devices, such as low-power wide-area networks, LoRa® devices and Wireless RF Technology, and standardized specifications like LoRaWAN™, the biggest challenge to achieving true “smart” parking is accurate and timely vehicle detection.
PNI Sensor Corporation’s PlacePod™ is an IoT-enabled smart parking sensor that communicates with a gateway to provide accurate real-time parking data. PlacePod is available for on-street and off-street municipal and private parking management.
Key features of the PlacePod smart parking sensor include:
- The industry’s most accurate magnetic sensing system for vehicle detection with the combination of PNI’s high-performance magnetic sensor and vehicle detection algorithms that accurately detect the presence or absence of a car in a parking space;
- Sensors and algorithms are finely tuned for ultra-low power consumption and are always-on, providing continuous vehicle detection without missing a parking event;
- Simplified provisioning and management using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) for easy wireless setup, calibration, diagnostics, and software updates via mobile or desktop application;
- IoT-enabled with complete LoRaWAN™ compatibility via the built-in LoRa®-based radio for communication with a LoRa®-enabled gateway;
- Easy installation, either in-ground or surface-mounted, in compact, rugged polycarbonate housing.